Archive for the ‘emulsion transfer’ Category

h1

Fuji Transfers

March 29, 2008

Not the greatest day outside today. I had hoped for some sunshine because I wanted to get a jump on some 8×10 Polaroid work for the Ode to Polaroid exchange at APUG. But no such luck.  So instead I decided to take another stab at using Fuji FP100C for emulsion transfers.

I don’t have a Daylab or 405 back so I make the images in-camera.  This time I decided to use FrankenRoid which is a pinhole MP4.  Get out the rubber duckies and barrel of monkeys, turn on the Wagner and create!

valkrye_001.jpg

6 minute exposure with heavy overcast.  20 seconds development, then peel and place on the Arches Aquarelle (hot press).  Roll for 1 minute, single direction, with a hard brayer.  Important that the peel and place be done in the dark or with a dim safe light.  Once down, the back of the Fuji is light proof so the lights could be turned on, I just worked under the safe light the whole time.

Fuji FP100C has a very pronounced blue shift for long exposures so I was to use a Daylab I might want to adjust the color pack to be a little minus blue.  There are some good discussions of this technique on http://www.flickr.com and http://www.apug.org  .   Both sites have search functions so key words like “emulsion+FP100” or “fuji+transfer” should help find them.  I just feel lazy right now and so don’t have links to include in this entry.

Advertisements
h1

Life after Polaroid

February 23, 2008

There has been some discussion over at Flickr ( link )and on the AAPUG mailing list about ways to get emulsion transfer to work with Fuji FP100-C film. I can say that the method outlined by Mr. Balazsy does work. In fact, I did a few things “wrong” and it still transfered. Wrong in the sense that I made some expedient substitutions of paper and medium soft brayer for the recommended hard brayer. Just stuff on hand. Also, the exposure was a bit on the low side. All I had on hand was my pinhole Frankenroid room lights. Guessed at a 10 minute exposure, probably needed 20 or 30. Close enough for a test shot though.

foralex.jpg

The scan has problems and it looks like there was an uneven pull through the camera’s rollers. Not the case on the real print, the problem is a little bit of curling in the paper and I didn’t put a weight on the scanner lid. Crappy little all-in-one scanner doesn’t have much dynamic range either.

The one serious defect in this test print are the large “snowflakes” at the center. This is missing emulsion. Could be the paper (hot press Canson, probably heavily sized) combined with my rolling technique. But know what, I don’t care! It freakin’ worked so there is promise.

For emulsion lift fans, there is a lot of chatter on the AAPUG mailing list about technique to get the transfer to stick to its new substrate.